Saturday 27 January 2018

How I Ran My First Marathon!



Not often, do I write long, but not often will I experience this special feeling of finishing my First Full Marathon too. So read on... This is as long as my Run!

My First Full Marathon!

Jan 2015- I ran my first Half Marathon (CRHM in 2.09 hours), and it took me three full years to realise the Full Marathon Dream. Back then, the target was to finish the 21.1 kms in under 2 hours and then aspire to run the celebrated distance of 42.195 Kms.

From my first Half Marathon Jan 25th 2015

Nov 2016 - Oct 2017 was fantastic, with #5 Sub-2 hour HM finishes. Running changed for the good thanks to Ash Nath's Running Workshop I attended back in Sept 2016. Brimming with (over) confidence, I just had to wait for registrations for the biggest Full Marathon race in India- The Tata Mumbai Marathon (Jan'18) to open. Race confirmation came in swiftly & I was already dreaming of flaunting that Finisher Medal! 

Airtel Delhi Half Marathon Nov 2016- the start of the Sub-2 HM's

Then came the big reality check. Just when training was to begin three months prior to the event , injuries and niggles started happening one after another. Frustratingly, lost precious training time in rest & recovery and just like that we were in December. I was now left with 6 weeks against the recommended 12 weeks of training. As luck would have it, that's when I got to meet Dr. Rajat Chauhan, one of India's best sports medicine doctor & running coach who was visiting Chennai from Delhi. Not only did he accurately diagnose the problems but also helped with the work-around for them.

By then though, all my hopes were lost & the Mumbai Marathon dream almost packed off. The thought of waiting out a whole year to again attempt it in 2019 was hugely daunting. With hardly any motivation left, my dear friends Elango, Rajan, Erika & Mahesh kept insisting I still do it anyhow. Half-heartedly I drew a plan, nothing fancy, nothing ambitious. Having a time target now was a luxury. Idea was to simply take it one day at a time & get to the start line injury free & finish it strong. With 5 weeks in hand, started this crude self-made running plan. Figured, I could navigate around the niggles & the pain by cutting down my pace. From the usual 5.30-6 min/km, reduced it to 6.30-7 min/km pace runs, with 2-3 days rest after every workout. All this, fuelled by lots & lots of STRENGTH-TRAINING at the gym/home as prescribed by Dr. Rajat.


Chennai Runners Pettai Rappers

Being a Chapter Co-ordinator of our running group Chennai Runners Pettai Rappers, there is this self-inflicted pressure to make it for the scheduled runs come-what-may. We have this  lovely bunch of runners at CRPR, all stalwarts in their own capacity and all of whom look forward for each other's company for inspiration & support. We meet at 5am, either outside Dimensions gym at CPR Road or at the Boat Club. Thanks to this group, managed to keep the weekdays active with an easy 6-8 km on Tues & Thurs. The Sundays were to spend as much ''time on the road'' as possible- the ''Long Runs''. This included a nice 25 Kms at the MFC anniversary Run on the Chennai Bypass Road & a memorable 32 Kms all the way to Kovalam from Alwarpet with my running friends Rajan, Mahesh, Erika, Narayanan & Venkat.


Post the 32 km run at Fishermens Cove, Kovalam.

Managed to make it to the race weekend with some confidence taken from those # 4 long runs. Zoheb- one of my biggest well-wishers & a true friend, came all the way from Cochin to travel with me to Mumbai just to witness this huge event & be a part of this tough journey. Incidentally, he was also present at the Finish of my first Half marathon, clicking away amazing pics with his Dslr.

Race Ready!

Nervous & with absolutely no sleep the previous night, I show up at the start line as fresh as possible, flanked with my Best Friends Rajan, Mahesh & Suresh Sir whom I ran with during my training. The Race starts. 1st to 24th km breezed away. It was exhilarating to run the famed broad roads of South Bombay. Thrilling to experience the iconic Worli-Bandra Sea Link on foot.

They call us the 'Tridev' - With Maggie & Rajju!

24th to 34th Km was intense with the going getting tough. So far there was no time-target in my mind, but slowly that human greed & ego crept in & I started my calculations & projected a decent 4.45 hour finish.

All went well until the 34th km mark!


Then came the infamous Peddar Mountain... sorry, Road. The incline that started at 34th Km mark went on till the 38th Km mark which reminded me of how poor my training was and put me back in my place. Had to ignore the short lived 4.45 hour target & now look to just finish it. By now my legs probably weighed double of what they normally would. 38th to 41st Km left me rueing why I signed up for this. 42nd Km - the sight of the finish line and the massive, boisterous Mumbai crowd cheered me to wear a smile and to jump over that finish line like I have just set the world record for a 100m dash. Paused my Garmin, it read- 5 Hrs, 02 Mins, 52 Seconds.

Official Timing

The next one hour, I was not in my senses, felt delirious & run down. Did not know what just happened. Stretched & did the slow walk back home proudly wearing the Finisher Medal. Having done this for the first time, don't think I will ever attempt a Full marathon without proper training. One has to respect the distance or else not do it. I have another BIG test awaiting in Sept 2018- The World Major- BMW BERLIN MARATHON which I got through in lottery even before I ran my first Full. Will reserve that story for another day. Now was the time to celebrate. Entered home, for a grand surprise get-together arranged by my lovely wife Aafreen with all the cousins & the kids. Dont think I deserved it, but the Chocolate truffle cake was yum!

Tata Mumbai Marathon Finisher Medal. Presented the 2nd medal -the TMM inspiration medal to my friend Zoheb, for being there for me & just so that he gets running too!

Thankful to my Almighty , for blessing me with the will, stamina & determination to accomplish this feat. My Wife, Aafreen, who effortlessly runs a Marathon everyday behind our two naughty Boys yet supports me to follow this passion. Rashan, my bro & Nazia my sil, for their unconditional love. Fathima Chachi for all the prayers she makes for me. Mom, for just being a MOM- always worried about my health & well-being yet silently rooting for me to do this & finally my Dad- my biggest strength in my life!



Signing off with this pic, at the Finish Line!

2 comments:

  1. Wow amazed and inspired.. Proud of you Yasir.. (Naveen)

    ReplyDelete
  2. MashaAllah! A load off your chest Yaser to put it in words, taking us through the journey. I could feel my calf muscles pulling me down following your last few km on Peddar Road.
    It is not everyday we come across feats being done for self esteem. Your running is what ambitioned you to set a mark and satisfy your inner desire to achieve what normally any normal being would term 'impossible'. Having completed this feat nothing remains impossible to you.
    May Allah SWT give you strength and wisdom to go the way and I recollect the words of my beloved father who used to quote the memorable couplet on such an occassion:
    "Too hain Shaheen, udna tera kaam hai udta jaa, tere aage aasman aur bhi hai udtha jaa"- translated - you are a falcon, flying is your job..keep flying, the sky is limitless, keep flying!
    To you Yaser, roads are long, winding or straight, you have an ambition keep running!!

    ReplyDelete